Monday, January 30, 2012

A Little Dodging and Burning will do.

      Here is an easy way to add just a little something extra to help an ordinary image become a little better. This first image is beautiful by itself but when I see it, I see the yellow in the background doesn't compliment the peach rose. Also the definition of the pedals isn't quiet enough. I'll use the dodge and burn method in a safe and easy way.
     First off bring up your image in Photoshop or Elements and do all the retouching you feel it needs. I was going for a softer look with this image so when I retouched the rose I made sure the exposure wasn't too dark. Then I took out the blemishes on the petals and slightly painted over the yellow in the background. Next I added a new layer above the original layer and filled it with 50% gray. At the top of the layer box I changed this layer to Overlay. Once you do this you will be able to see your original layer underneath. Now grab your paint brush tool and choose a soft round brush with the opacity set to around 10 maybe even lower. Now make sure your colors are set to the default of black and white. On this new layer paint with the black to make areas darker and then go back and paint with the white to make areas lighter. You'll get the hang of it pretty fast and what is really nice about this method is.....if you don't like what you are doing then simply fill the layer back in with 50% grey and start again.
     Now that you have that down......try  painting with another color. Have fun!

No comments:

Hideaway Hilda

Hideaway Hilda